The cabling infrastructure will be under a raised floor or overhead-or both. This is where the bulk of the horizontal cabling will be installed. Most likely you will hire a reputable cabling contractor to survey the environment, plan out the cabling routes, and install the horizontal runs. Ensure that copper and fiber runs are separated, because the weight of copper cables can damage the fiber.
Also, ensure that the cabling contractor:
- Allows room for future growth
- Is careful about cable bend stress
- Uses plenum-rated cable where needed
- Is aware of and bases installation on industry standards (see the next section on standards)
- Tests the cabling consistently during installation